Friday, January 10, 2014

2014, the Year of Diligence

2014......Wow. Is it just me or does it feel like it was just 2010. Gracious, 2014 already.

2013 was a good year for us, it was our first full calendar year of being married and in that year, we visited some new places and made some new memories.

In June, we traveled to Atlanta for my cousin's wedding and then made our way down to Savannah for a mini-vacation.


We did a lot of fun things with our Life Journey Group from church that included going camping (the first time I've been camping since I was a Girl Scout), a costume party (we won the "Most Realistic" award for going as Sheldon and Amy from the Big Bang Theory), and multiple game nights.

It was during this past year that Geoff and I found our "groove" as a married couple. We adjusted to each other's habits and idiosyncrasies and fell into a routine that worked well for us. I know some people say that the first year is always the hardest, but for us is was pretty smooth sailing. I am definitely thankful for that.

At the beginning of this new year, I am excited to see what 2014 brings us. I have enjoyed reading other blogs and seeing that a lot of people are choosing a word for the year rather than make actual resolutions. Well, I'm going to try and do both.

My "word of the year" for 2014 is Diligence. Diligence is the constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken; persistent exertion of body and mind. The things that I want to accomplish this year are not impossible, they are very attainable goals, but it will take diligence in order to complete them. I'm choosing this word as a reminder to myself to actively work towards the goals I am setting for myself this year.

1. I want to take more pictures this year. Last year for Christmas I got a Nikon D3100 with the intent of taking lots of pictures. I definitely used my camera, but not as much as I would have liked. I think I have to change my mind-set about what is "photo-worthy." That's definitely something I want to work on. I also decided to try and make a Project Life scrapbook this year, so now I have to take more pictures since I bought all of the supplies and stuff.

2. Work on completing my degree. Long story short, I "graduated" with 2 classes still left to take.....and I never took them. I'm in the process of taking one class on-line now, but I am at the point that I just want to go ahead and get this done and over with, it has been way too long.

3. Pay off school loans. Oh school loans, the bane of all college graduate's existence. Well all except my husband, lucky him. Yes, want to get those things paid off so we can start a family. So there is a big incentive with that one, but I have found that it is easier said than done. We will be making a budget and keeping each other accountable to stick to it!

4. Finish what I start. I don't know if I have met anyone who is as bad about this as I am. I am an excellent starter of things, not so good finisher of things. This is especially true with regards to decorating our house. I have multiple half-finished projects in the garage and want to just go ahead and get them done!

See why Diligence is my word this year? Like I said, all of these goals are very realistic and attainable, it's just a matter of making myself do them. If I could get these things done, I know 2014 would be a great year.

I also liked the list below, I think I'm going to print it out and tape it to the wall next to my bed as a reminder for me every morning and every evening.


Here's to the start of a great 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! Let me know what you think!

 
site design by designer blogs