Thursday, September 11, 2014

Living Room Bookshelves

Behold, my beautiful bookshelves! I have to admit, I am really pleased with how these turned out. 


I'm not completely finished with them, I hope to add some molding to make them look more like built-ins; kind of like my original inspiration, as can be seen here and here. But for now, I am satisfied with how they look.

I used 5 Ikea Billy bookcases, 2 of the wider bookcases on the ends and 3 of the slimmer bookcases in the middle. I decided on these sizes because I wanted the length of the bookcases to be as close to the length of the wall as possible. As you can see, it's pretty close to the full length of the wall.

After I first assembled the bookcases, I just threw some books and knick knacks on there with the intention of organizing my books.....and then it stayed like this for 2 months. 



But then I had some people coming over and had to make it look more presentable. That's when I had to decide how I wanted to style them. All over Pinterest and home blogs, you find tutorials about how to style bookcases/shelves, but I find that those tutorials usually only include pretty knick knacks and pictures and maybe a couple of decorative books. However, the whole reason I got these bookshelves was for the purpose of actually holding my books (I have a good many), so I definitely wanted to utilize the function of the shelves and not just use them for decorative purposes.

But just because they are functional doesn't mean they can't also be pretty. While perusing Pinterest, I saw that a new trend has been to organize books by color, like here and here, so I thought I would give it a try.


It was easy enough, I just hauled all of my books in and started dividing them by color. It probably took me about 30 minutes. I also decided that I didn't want to split up any series that had more then 3 books. So I divided my Hunger Games series by color, but my Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie series stayed together. 

Then it was just a matter of putting the books on the shelves. The top row is where I organized the books by color, starting with the lighter books on the left side and then growing darker towards the right. On the second row is mostly my book series that I didn't want to split up. All of the brown boxes and magazine holders I got from Ikea when I got the bookshelves. They hold things like stationary, video game accessories, and other miscellaneous things. 


With regards to how I styled everything, it was just a matter of moving things around until I liked how they looked. I didn't really have any kind of method, I would just move items around and take a step back to see how they worked in that space. Really my method was move things around and take a step back. I'm quite happy with how everything looks. 


I also have some pictures leaning on top for now. I have one of our engagement pictures, a canvas of our wedding party, and my 2 Lindsay Letters canvases. I'm planning on hanging some picture ledges above the bookcases (I have them built, I just need to paint and hang them! It's on my to-do list for this month.) I also think I would like to get 2 lamps to place on top of the bookcases. We need more light in that part of the room and I think they would look nice. I really like these.

So, that's our living room bookshelves! What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Laura! I LOVE your blog! Your house is so cute and I love your decorating tips :).

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Let me know what you think!

 
site design by designer blogs